Union Gap Animal Control

The Yakima Humane Society is under contract with the City of Union Gap to provide animal control services within the geographical boundaries of the city. Our animal control officers are empowered to investigate animal cruelty or neglect complaints in this jurisdiction.

The Animal Control Officer provides twenty (20) hours of service each week; days and hours vary for optimal coverage. All calls for animal issues of any kind are welcome, but please note that emergency calls take precedence. If the Animal Control Officer is not on duty when you call your animal complaint will be dealt when they return.

Animal Control Officers respond to citizen complaints regarding nuisance dogs, such as barking, running loose and keeping dogs in a nauseous, foul or offensive manner. Animal Control Officers also respond to sick and injured animals, as well as removing dead animals from streets and sidewalks. They investigate reports of animal abuse and neglect to assure the welfare of animals is being met. They respond to reports of dangerous dogs that are threatening the safety of people and their animals, and to incidents of dog bites. Animal Control Officers have the ability to charge people with violations of the Union Gap Municipal Code pertaining to animals.

To report animal abuse, neglect or cruelty in the City of Union Gap, please call the city Police Department at 
(509) 248-0430.

All animals picked up by Animal Control Officers are housed at the Yakima Humane Society.

City ordinances regarding animals and pets can be found here under Title 6 of the Union Gap Municipal Code.

Quick Facts

  • All dogs must be licensed that have been (or previously) impounded
  • All dogs must have current Rabies inoculation
  • Limited to four (4) pets (dogs or cats) per household
  • Dog licenses may be purchased at the Yakima Humane Society
  • Altered licensing fee: $10 for a lifetime license
  • Unaltered licensing fee: $30 per year