The Yakima Humane Society is a 105-year-old animal shelter dedicated to serving animals in the Yakima, WA area. We bring in about 30 to 40 animals each day with the mission of providing them with vet care, including spaying and neutering, microchipping and finding them with a forever home.
Consider these facts about animal homelessness in America:
- Roughly 7.6 million companion animals enter shelters every year. That's about 3.9 million dogs and 3.4 million cats.
- Out of the millions of shelter animals, 2.7 million dogs and cats are euthanized annually due to lack of shelter space and suitable homes.
- About 25% of dogs that enter shelters are purebred.
- Around twice as many animals that end up in shelters are strays rather than surrendered by owners.
- A large number of stray animals are pets that were not properly kept or marked with identification.
- Only about 2% of cats and 20% dogs that are lost are returned to their owners.
- There are about 3,500 animal shelters and about 10,000 rescue groups in North America.
These facts may be disturbing, but you can make a difference. When you give to your local animal shelter, whether by monetary donation or by volunteering, you are helping to reduce animal homelessness. Humane society donations help animals receive vet care and find homes that can meet their individual needs.
Call 509-457-6854 to learn more about how you can help your local humane society in Yakima, WA.